Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Opinions Schmopinions

Let me start by saying that I am absolutely fired up!!
Not in a good way, not in a bad way, I've just got the gumption of a mother to be.

I am thrilled to be a part of what I feel is a not-so-secret club. I have encountered many helpful women. Whether they are new moms, veteran moms, nurses or grandmas, many of them have been great! I've even come across a few dudes that have been encouraging and thoughtful. So I want to say THANK YOU!! to you.

However, what in the blankety blank is wrong with people who offer their unsolicted advice and opinions?! I'm not even talking about "stay at home moms are better than working moms" or "breast feeding is better than formula." I am talking about the "good luck losing the baby weight, the more you gain, the harder it is to take off" and the "You think you're going to breast feed more than 12 weeks? DOUBT IT!"

I have not mentioned to one person that I'm worried about getting the weight off after baby comes. In fact, I just recently started to think about it. I will concern myself with that when the time comes!
The one that really gets me though is the second one. How dare you??! Are you suggesting that I won't be able to handle it? That I am not strong enough? Do you for whatever creepy reason think that I won't be able to provide enough for my offspring?
All I hear when it is suggested that I won't nurse my child after 12 weeks is "You, as a mother and caregiver, are either not able or not willing to successfully raise a child."
The kicker on this one is that the person saying it is a DUDE.
When this man said this to me, all I could say was "oh my gosh." As in, I am speechless, mind your own business, I might go bananas on you.
But, excuse me, Dude? Here is what I would like to say: ARE YOU FREAKING OUT OF YOUR MIND?! I do not care what you think my boobs are capable of. You are a creep for even uttering (clever pun not intended) a thought about my choice as a breast feeding mother. I do not know if I will continue to nurse past one minute. But I do know that I will try my very hardest to do what I feel is best for my child. And that, Dude, has nothing to do with what you think!
Ever heard of bees wax? Get your own, and mind it.

Oh, blogosphere. Thank you for being a friend.

I would hate to leave with such a bitter ending.
So I just need to add one more time, a warm and fuzzy "thank you" to all of you encouraging people out there. Thank you to those of you who know it's hard work, but continue to only tell me how great motherhood is. Thank you to the honest ones, who have embarrassing stories to show that no one is perfect. Thank you to those who know that guilt is always present and it's okay to suppress it. And of course the ones that tell me to "snap out of it, woman!! It's not that big of a deal which bottle you choose!!!! Weirdo!"
I love you all.

I feel so much better now.

xo
emily

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily!
    I'm so sorry this guy was so rude and inappropriate! I hope you have 10 people tell you positive and encouraging things to make up for him. =)
    It is sometimes annoying, and sometimes great when other people give their opinions.
    By the end of being pregnant w/ Brady, I told Matt, "If one more person says to me 'You just wait...' I am going to LOSE IT!!! We're having this baby and going to figure it out, and going to do just fine."
    And I know you and Marcus are going to do just fine if not Great! Sure, it's a lot to figure out, but you'll do it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave said just today that you look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete